Need a last minute handmade Christmas gift idea? Or maybe your home isn’t looking quite festive enough? We have just the thing! These fantastic rainbow holiday light pillows by the awesome Aww Sam will bring the perfect finishing touch to any home!
1 yard of felt for each color of lights
1/2 yard of grey felt for the top of the light
White thread or thread to match the colour of your pillows
Hand sewing needle
Polyester filling, we used half a bag per pillow (here)
Paper patterns to make the pillow (print them out here)
1. On the fold of your fabric, pin down the bulb pattern piece and cut out 6 pieces in total. With right sides together, sew two of the bulb pieces along one side of the felt with a ¼″ (0.6cm) seam.
2. Sew two more pieces of the pattern together, and connect them to the first pieces of felt you sewed together. Continue repeating these steps until you get to the last seam. Remember to leave an opening so you can turn your pillow right side out once you’re done sewing.
3. If you still have small holes in the top and bottom of your pillow, stitch them closed before moving on to the next step.
4. Turn your pillow right side out, and stuff it completely with filling. Once the pillow is stuffed to your liking, hand stitch the remaining open area shut.
5. To create the top of your holiday lights, cut out a circle about 2½ (6.5cm) in diameter and a strip of grey felt 3″ wide. Sew the strip along the edge of your circular felt piece, creating a ¼″ (0.6cm) seam. Turn your topper right side out and stuff it with filling.
6. Hand sew the topper to the top of your holiday light and attach a grey strip of felt to string multiple pillows together. To string them together, I created a long grey “belt” and sewed it to the back of each light topper.
Photography by Kyle Larsen