The Handmade Christmas Fair is back! Floral designer, stylist and horticulturist Kitten Grayson will be appearing alongside Kirstie Allsopp next weekend. Inspired by nature and the gifts each season brings, Kitten started her floral empire in 2007. We had a chat with her to learn find out what flower she’d choose to be, dreams of living in a tree house and how she enjoys saving Minnie Mouse in her spare time…
1. Where did your fascination for all things floral stem?
My love and fascination with nature started at a very young age. Growing up on a farm in Somerset, I became obsessed with Butterflies; their colours and the way that they move. The romance of them is so beautiful and I love to bring this naivety into my work. I’ve always dreamed of living in a tree house – this is yet to be fulfilled!
2. When are you happiest?
I am at my happiest when I am surrounded in my workshop full of flowers and plants, ready to make something beautiful to be shared with others.
3. You work with a lot of gorgeous fragrances, which scents conjure up the happiest memories for you?
When I was 17 I lived on a Cattle Ranch in Oregon, USA. A couple of fields across the way was a Rose and Tulip Farm. I would go over there to help pick the flowers to be sent off across the country. Every time I smell this scent I am instantly transported back.
4. What do you do to keep your ideas fresh as a daisy?
My inspiration comes from nature, so the change of seasons always fills me with new thoughts and ideas.
5. What’s your guilty pleasure?
I can’t quite believe I am admitting this; I love video games. But girly ones! Tetrus and Mickey Mouse saving Minnie are my current favourites.
6. Your creations are inspired by different seasons, what’s your favourite season of the year and why?
I love all seasons for what they bring. It’s amazing how they can change a landscape. However, for Spring the new bulbs and sense of a new beginning is very special.
7. You’ve had some really exciting clients, from Vogue and Channel 4 to Kirstie Allsopp and Marks and Spencer. Who has been your favourite so far and why?
Every client brings something new and a chance to create a fresh inspired look. It would be impossible to choose!
8. If you could be a flower what would you be?
The girls in the office and I talk about this all the time… I would be a Dahlia Cafe de Ole.
9. Do you have your own garden – What’s it like?
I have a beautiful Roof Terrace full of Plants, Grasses, Roses, Hydrangea Annabelle and lots of herbs for cooking. I find working here so peaceful – it’s like an escape.
10. What’s your favourite spot to go to for a bit of ‘nature time’?
Back home to Alfred’s Tower in Somerset. It’s a Forest where I spent a lot of my childhood making Den’s. One day I will have my treehouse there…
Kitten & Co.
Fancy seeing Kitten and the rest of the gang at The Handmade Christmas Fair at Manchester Central on 20th-22nd November? We’re throwing in an entry ticket discount code for you Bibelovers, so don’t miss out!
Simply use the discount code BIBELOT20 on the Handmade Fair website to get full day entry to the fair for just £20** (usually £25).
Please see the full details below and snap up those tickets and workshop spaces before they’re all gone!
Exclusive discount code for Bibelot readers!
* Ticket does not include travel to and from the event or accommodation.
Additional workshop sessions are bookable on the day, subject to availability – please arrive early to avoid disappointment. ** Booking fees apply