Her thriving online store Super Queenie Retro prides itself on providing ‘Vintage for the modern world’, and is a real family business, with husband Tim and daughter Pearl frequently inspiring blog posts and even modelling items from the shop!
2. What’s behind our collective obsession with all things vintage?
3. What are the advantages of a thrifted/vintage wardrobe over buying new?
Oh gosh, loads! I love it as you get to experiment with style on your own terms, not what’s being dictated to you via media and what’s available on the high street. There’s certainly no need to dress head to toe in vintage to the max, just add in the odd piece you really love and brings you joy!
4. What have your five most memorable “finds” been?
1) Annabelle, a horrendous tulip print bridesmaid dress with puffed sleeves. We had her for years but she eventually went to a good home.
2) Mr Darts Player, a men’s chunky wool jumper complete with a large leather V on the front.
3) David Bowie, Gold lame tight trousers… need I say more?
5) A beautiful 1940’s hand made silk cream blouse for 50p!
5. What advice would you give to budding vintage sellers?
Also pay attention to small details… and research as much as possible! I am always learning new business skills – there are always improvements that can be made.
6. Whose style do you admire?
7. When are you happiest?
It’s hard, I never really stop working, and I’m never off duty from mum stuff. I work from home so I can look after my three year old daughter Pearl, and it’s an impossible balance of playing, working, cleaning, photographing, packing orders and daily trips to the post office.
Some days I can’t get anything done at all, and the house is a bomb of clothes and toys. Other days Pearl’s happy having her own imaginary games so I can have an hour here or there but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I’m lucky that I can have the best of both worlds. Perhaps when she’s at school and I’m not so house bound I might try something more adventurous again?!
9. What five things can’t you live without?
My iPad mini
Coffee, (with a pastry is preferable)
A tape measure
My sewing machine
10. Pick a celebrity. Which pieces in your shop would you use to style her/him?
I’m a little in love with Ellie Goulding. She’s super cool. So here are some Super Queenie pieces that she would totally rock.
Red Tassel Bag £22, Denim Shirt £22, 80s Gold Top £35, Levi Jeans £25
60s Dress £47, Jacket £75, Gold Bag £20, Peach Heels £20.
Red Checked Celine Jacket £95, Hawaii Cropped Tee £15, Bag £48, Silk Shorts £28.