There’s nothing more satisfying than eating a warm pie with delicious vanilla ice cream. However, sometimes you just don’t have the time (or patience) to bake an entire pie. These incredible little pies eliminate a lot of work, yet still deliver on the delicious pie taste. They are also a fantastic option for changing up the traditional slice of pie into something you can easily hold in your hand. Portable, quick and delicious, what more could you ask for?
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups cold butter or shortening (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg
- Your choice of jam, fruit filling or chocolate spread
ON TOP (optional)
- Egg Wash – 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water whisked together
Cruelty free list:
Eggs, from Hen Nation www.goodfoodnation.co.uk
Dairy free margarine – We like Pure and Vitalite from health food shops and most supermarkets.
Most supermarkets now stock their own brands too!
Dairy free ice-cream – We like Booja-Booja and Swedish Glace available from most supermarkets.
1. In a very large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
2. Cut the butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture in the bowl. Now with a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is very crumbly and resembles coarse oatmeal.
3. In a smaller bowl, beat together the water, vinegar and egg until blended. Stir into the flour mixture, tossing gently until everything is evenly dampened and it forms a soft dough. Make sure not to stir or mash, you want the whole mess to stay lightly mixed.
4. With well-floured hands, form the dough into separate pieces, patting them into flattish disks and flouring the outsides well. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or two, or freeze to use some other time.
5. Take out the pastry and on a well-floured surface, with a rolling pin, roll out the pastry as evenly as possible until it is around 1/8 inch.
6. Using a knife, cut out as many rectangles (3 inches by 5 inches) as you can with half the dough making the bottom of the hand pies. With the other half, cut out oval-shaped leaves with a knife and make indentations for the veins. Gather the remaining dough and cut out the leaves again until all the dough is used up.
7. Place the rectangles on a baking sheet. Top with 2-3 tablespoons of the jam filling in the center of the hand pie.
8. Top the filling with the leaves making sure you create a border and seal the edges with water to keep the jam from running out.
9. Make sure there is breathing room between the leaves on top; otherwise, make sure to cut a small hole in the top of each pie.
10. Optional: Using a pastry brush, brush on the egg wash.
11. Bake at 375°F/190°C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
12. Remove hand pies from oven and let it stand to cool slightly before serving with vanilla ice cream.